Round Seven Round Up

Welcome to the Round Seven Round Up!!!!

And what a round it was! Not until the final whistle had blown did we know who would be playing who in the semi finals and there was one big upset of the weekend as well.

Game one of the round had Canterbury host the Wellington Pride in Christchurch on an overcast day. Canterbury pretty much steam rolled the opposition and are looking like real title contenders this year. Heres the match report for the game.

Our second game had the Auckland Storm host Waikato at Bell Park in Pakuranga and by all accounts this game was a stunner! Waikato grafted out their first ever win against the Storm with a 43-34 victory and well lets say they were elated with it. Here they are celebrating.

Courtesy of the Waikato Womens Rugby Facebook Page

This means both teams are now on 20 points (3rd and 4th place) a piece and Waikato take poll position as they have beaten the Storm in round robin play.

Our third game of the afternoon had the Manawatu Cyclones host the Counties Power Heat in Palmerston North and the visitors did not come to take in the sights. With Counties being at the top of their game this week they had the Cyclones on the back foot from the start and never looked like back pedalling themselves. With the score at 0-31 to Counties at half time, it felt like it was a matter of how many more points the Heat could pile on. The Cyclones had other ideas through and in the second half held their defence well, with Counties only managing three tries. This give Counties the first home semi final spot as they finish the season on 32 points, 3 clear of Canterbury.

The fourth game of the afternoon had the Tasman Makos host the Hawkes Bay Tuis at Trafalgar Park in sunny Nelson. Both teams came into this game with the expectation that one of them would walk away with their first competition points for the season. Tasman were at home and were really looking to finish with a flourish as they had shown some great improvement around the park over the last few weeks. The Tuis came into the game off the bye weekend and with an understrength team due to injuries to players. The Makos final went and did it and won their first game of the season. With the half time score at 17-5 to Tasman it was touch and go a bit there and could have gone either way, but the Makos powered through and finished the game 24-12. The Makos finish the season on 4 points.

The final game of the round saw the North Harbour Hibiscus host the Otago Spirit at QBE Stadium for hosting rights of the Championship semi final next week. With both teams guaranteed semi finals places this game was a good dress rehearsal for next weeks clash. Otago showed up all pumped and ready to go and it showed. While North Harbour were guilty of poor discipline and had a yellow card shown in them in the second half for a dangerous high tackle. Otago took the game comfortably with a 34-15 and have secured the hosting rights for next week. North Harbour need to work on their discipline and also defence if they want any show in the semi final.

This now leaves us with six teams left standing.

Counties Power Heat will host the Auckland Storm in first semi final (TBA)

Canterbury will host Waikato in the second semi final (TBA)

Otago Spirit will host North Harbour Hibiscus in the Championship semi final (TBA)